Established early 1990’s
Rathdangan is a small village in a scenic, rural setting in west Wicklow, located between Baltinglass and the Wicklow Mountains. The Rathdangan area comprises two Electoral Districts (EDs), Rathdangan and Ballinguile, giving a total area of almost 50km2.
Population 543 (171 households) in the Rathdangan area (2006). Population density 10.87 persons km2 (compared to 62.63 persons km2 for Co. Wicklow).
- Secured LEADER II funding and oversaw renovation of O’Toole Memorial Hall (1996).
- Community Alert Scheme in place for last 10 years, supporting 15 local residents.
- Monthly Dance and Ramblers (story, song and music) session held for the last 10 years.
- Purchased one-acre Community Field, which has been drained and developed as a sportsfield.
- Internet and mobile phone training delivered in conjunction with Wicklow VEC (2008).
- Publication of Rathdangan Heritage Trail booklet (2009).
- Litter-pick for National Spring Clean (2010 & 2011).
- Drama Group established 2009; has since staged two performances, raising over €6,000 for the Community Council.
- Community Noticeboard erected 2010.
- New community website www.rathdangan.com launched June 2011.
- With the support of Muintir na Tíre Rathdangan Community Council is working with three neighbouring communities (Askanagap, Kiltegan and Knockananna) to form a regional community council to collectively address challenges in our remote rural area.
- The pilot regional community council is liaising with County Wicklow Partnership to secure a Tús Programme for the area to support older people to continue living in their homes and address other priority needs in the area (17.5% of those living in the area are aged over 65, compared with an average of 10% for Co. Wicklow).
- Heritage Interpretive Panel for village to be completed summer 2011.
- PURE Mile initiative to clean and upgrade a mile of roadway from village to local school.
- Supporting revival of Community First Responders programme in the local area.
- Working with teenagers and parents to provide activities for young people in the community.
- Currently at scoping and consultation stage in the development of a Community Park adjacent to the Community Field.