New Muintir Council established in March 2011.
Freshford is a small village in a scenic, rural setting located in North Kilkenny between Cashel and Kilkenny City . The Freshford area and hinterlands comprise Electoral Districts Coolcraheen Freshford, Odagh, Rathbeagh and Rathealy, giving a total area of almost 50km2.
Population Village Approx. 1450 in the Freshford area (2006).
- Secured Kilkenny County Council funding and are at present overseeing the renovation of Freshford Community Hall (1996).
- Community Alert Scheme in place for last 10 years, supporting 15-20 local residents.
- Culture Group Weekly Meeting : Fridays Nights Children/Adults
- Local Training Initiative “Fresh Start” empowering young people to gain the skills to re-enter the workforce. Funded by FAS, Dept. of Social & Family Affairs.
- Internet Café opening in the Autumn.
- Drama Group: established 2010 has since staged one performance raising funds to establish a variety group to rekindle the old pantomimes that were part of the Freshford Community back in the 1950/60.
- Litter-pick for National Spring Clean (2010 & 2011).
- Community Saving Bank: Enabling families to take the stress out of Holy Communion, Confirmation and particularly Christmas. This is done on a weekly collection basis and run by a sub committee of 12 volunteers.
- Established a Freshford Community Hall Facebook page which is proving to be very popular with the young people who have emigrated.
- Freshford Community Hall is at present being used by a number of Community Groups: G.A.A, Heritage Group, Soccer Group, Youth Club, Dog Grooming, Active Retirement, Wheelchair Groups, Local Funerals for catering, Tai-Chi and Weightwatchers.