Cappawhite Community Council was established in the early 1990’s.
Cappawhite is a rural village in a scenic, rural setting in west Tipperary, about 8 miles from Tipperary Town and 24 miles from Limerick. It has a strong GAA tradition and is famous for being the town with the last faction fight in the 1890’s at which a man died. This event was re-enacted in the mid 1990’s during an annual festival.
Cappawhite Resource Centre is in the heart of several CLÁR designated areas; Glengar, Curraheen, Drumwood, Donohill, Clonoulty West, Clogher, Cappagh and Kilmucklin.
Early this year there was a huge voluntary effort to promote courses locally including surrounding communities. 5,000 leaflets were distributed to 5,000 households detailing 21 courses.
Population is about 1,200 people.
- Cappawhite Resource Centre – opened January 2004
- Opened Day Care Centre for Elderly in June 2004.
- Day Care Centre is open each Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. It serves a 20 mile radius.
- Fully equipped HSE standard kitchen and catering facilities.
- Opened fully equipped Gymnasium in the Resource Centre in 2008.
- Sports Hall available for indoor sports and concerts
- Kitchen and medical room equipped.
- Dressing rooms for outdoor sports.
- Large car park
- Vintage Tractor Run 2010 and 2011 as fundraisers for the Day Care Centre for Elderly.
- Day Care Centre for Elderly Tuesdays – Thursdays. Around 20 elderly people attend each day. Bus service collects those attending.
- Training Centre – 21 different courses offered in Spring 2011 ranging from employment support and job readiness courses to hobby courses.
- Conference facilities – from10 to 100 people, audio visual equipment + catering available.
- Sports Hall
- Bingo night – weekly. Each Friday night.
- Tea Dances monthly.
- Gym – opened each morning and evening.
- Fitness classes – Pilates, kick boxing, skip aerobics, Yoga and aerobics.
- Unislim – Tuesday evenings
- Meeting room hire.
- ‘Stars Night in Cappawhite’ – a big Country Music Night with 8 acts on July 21st 2011 in Cappawhite Resource Centre.
- Weekly lotto shared with local GAA Club. Around 70 volunteers selling tickets.